I have a real-life horror story for you.
Fire ants (which are pretty nasty creatures!) can sting their prey to death! But they have a predator that is even more vicious: FEMALE PHORID FLIES!
Here’s their reproductive strategy:
- Females inject their eggs into the fire ants with a needle-like appendage.
- The eggs grow and the larva migrates to the ant’s head.
- The larva lives their for a few weeks feeding on the brain of the fire ant.
- Then, under the influence of the larva, the fire ant mysteriously wanders away from its colony to avoid attack by other fire ants.
- Then the baby fly breaks out of the fire ants head and decapitates the ant!
- And thus, a new phorid fly is born! (Good birth story, eh?)