In class, you will create your own energy resource advertisements. Let’s take a look at some real ones and deconstruct them to talk about the kinds of messages the ads are sending.
Questions to ask when deconstructing an ad:
- All media is constructed, meaning that they are created by someone or a team. Who created this message?
- Media messages are constructed using creative/graphic design to convey the message. What creative techniques are used to get my attention?
- Different people experience the same media in different ways. How might different people understand this message differently than me?
- Media messages come from a specific culture, point of view, and perspective. What lifestyles/cultures, values, and points of view are represented? Which ones are left out or omitted?
- Most media is used to gain power or profit. What is the message in this media and why is this message being sent?